Our immunity decides our resistance against diseases. When immunity fails, we would be prone to diseases frequently, experience a lack of energy, and have prolonged recovery periods from illnesses. In light of the Corona pandemic, there is an increased interest among people in boosting immunity. But immunity is never seasonal; it is an essential part of healthy living.
Let’s look at a few yogic methods to improve immunity:
Three Pranayama techniques that boost immunity
- Helps clear the nasal and ear canals
- Helps mitigate migraines
- Clears the sinuses
- Helps in Improving concentration and memory
- Effective in reducing blood pressure
2. Nadi shodhana
- Calms and rejuvenates the nervous system
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Helps to balance hormones
- Supports clear and balanced respiratory channels
- Helps to alleviate respiratory allergies that cause hay fever, sneezing, or wheezing
- Balances solar and lunar, masculine and feminine energies
- Fosters mental clarity and an alert mind
- Enhances the ability to concentrate
- Brings balance to the left and right hemispheres of the brain
- Favourable effect on the respiratory and digestive system.
- Drains excess phlegm from the lungs.
- Oxygenates the blood increasing the vitality of all the organs and tissues.
- Strengthens and tones the abdominal region.
- Calms the mind.
- Energizes the entire body and mind.
Three Yoga postures that boost immunity
1. Ardha matsyendrasana,
Benefits: Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half spinal twist) stimulates the adrenal glands and the parathyroid glands, the so-called “guardians of health”. In addition, the spleen is activated, which produces defense cells for lung infections.
Benefits: Helps relieve fatigue. As this is a resting pose, it helps relax the body. The regulated breathing helps restore you to a state of calmness.2) For the reasons mentioned above, this is also a great pose to ease anxiety and stress. Being curled up, makes one aware of the breathing pattern. Focusing on the breathing helps relax the mind. The pose helps lengthen and stretch out the spine. It also gently stretches the ankles, hips and shoulders, stimulates digestion and elimination.
3. Sethu bandhasana
Benefits: recent study found that practising yoga can alter gene expression that boosts immunity at a cellular level!
Regular practice of these techniques helps to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system which also helps in reducing levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Stress plays a major role in weakening your mental health. So, reducing levels of stress hormone helps boost your immunity.
Sample block quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.